Saturday, January 26, 2008

Purple Cable Gauntlets

Following in the cable theme, this is my current project - a pair of purple braided gantlets, or fingerless gloves.I've never really seen the point of fingerless gloves before, but now that I commute to work and our office can be really cold at times, a pair of gloves which you don't need to take off in order to type, read or even knit is pretty appealing.
I really wanted a cable pattern, wishing to try out cable knitting and finally found this one for symmetrical braided gauntlets for free!
I substituted the yarn with a ball of Rowan's kid classic in Victoria to match my hat and the scarf I have in progress. I was a bit worried at first that the yarn would knit up too small, but it seems to give reasonable stretch and has a lovely soft, fluffy feel. These are going to be some very warm gloves.
After a couple of evenings work (I had to start over several times before I got the hang of knitting on the double points) I have just started to increase for the thumb and hope that the gloves will be nearly finished this weekend. The pattern doesn't seem to entirely match the picture, I think I'm going to end up with an extra braid overall, but that's not too much of a problem. I love how the braid pattern is coming out in the Kid classic yarn, very subtle but pretty.

No comments: